Does every small chip on a windshield require a visit to an auto glass repair shop, or can you actually save a great deal of time, money, and energy using one of those DIY repair tips from the Internet? Every car owner faces this dilemma from time to time.
Yes, we naturally want to cut corners and avoid wasting a whole day and some extra money, especially when YouTube or local stores offer inexpensive, straightforward alternatives.
But do those tips and $20 DIY auto glass repair kits really worth it? And what is more important, are they really as efficient and safe as they claim to be, or is there a risk that you will eventually have to pay much more to deal with the additional damage they may make?
In this article, we shall talk about DIY auto glass repair kits and tips from the Internet, their true worth, Pros and Cons, and things you may want to consider before using them or taking your car to the auto glass repair shop.
Pros of DIY windshield repair
Various DIY auto glass repair methods and kits are becoming more and more popular today. And here is why:
- Fast and easy – the first benefit that comes to mind is that using a DIY auto glass repair method will save you a great deal of time and money. Indeed, above the service and materials professionals` prices also include rent, marketing, all the team’s salaries, and many other things. This is how business works. But why do you have to pay extras when a cheaper alternative promises the same results? However, paying for professional service, you pay for the skills, experience, guarantee that the effect will last, and, what is most important, safety;
- Convenient – another benefit of DIY auto glass repairs is that they can be performed when and where you need them. No need to look for an auto glass repair shop, wait in line and waste all day drinking horrible coffee and reading old magazines. With a DIY kit, you can fix any chip or crack in your own driveway! But at the same time, you can enjoy the 24/7 mobile glass repair services and except saving time and sticking to your busy schedule, enjoy results and guarantees that only a professional can offer;
- Suitable for amateurs – When it is just a small chip or a tiny crack, traveling all the way to an auto glass repair shop may seem unreasonable. A DIY kit can just do the job! At the same time, modern cars` windshields are complicated multi-layered glasses that are also connected to various detectors, radio, antennas and sensors. Are you sure that the damage does not compromise their work?
- A perfect temporary solution – small windshield chips can sometimes spread into extremely dangerous spiderweb cracks. It usually happens due to temperature differences. For example, when you park in a warm garage after driving in winter. That is why you should fix any kind of damage to your windshield as soon as possible. A DIY patch or any other solution can be a perfect temporary solution that will allow you to get to an auto glass repair shop safely.
Cons of DIY windshield repair
Here are some things you should consider carefully before trying to fix a damaged glass yourself:
- You may void the warranty – whether we are talking about a new vehicle or the windshield has been replaced before, trying to fix the damage yourself will probably make you lose the warranty on workmanship and the glass itself;
- Mistakes are expensive to fix – if you make a mistake or fail to fix the damage yourself and have to address professionals anyway, the bill may turn out much higher than it would if you went to the auto glass repair shop from the very beginning;
- Not all cracks are repairable – some cracks and chips may seem minor but, in fact, require full glass replacement, which can only be done by a professional. Trying to fix them yourself and delaying a visit to the shop, you risk your safety and the safety of people around you,
To make an informed decision about your vehicle maintenance, you often have to analyse the pros and cons of different options. Are you really able to evaluate the damage and severity yourself? Will you have to waste a whole day in the shop, or are there other, more convenient options? Or do you want to have peace of mind knowing that the job is done by professionals and comes with a warranty?
Contact Auto Glass Depot today if you want to learn more about your options and services meant to make your driving experience safe and comfortable. Visit our Mississauga location and get a thorough consultation, advice, and service from a qualified team of professionals and make an informed decision about your vehicle’s maintenance in the future.